---------- Archive Description (english) ----------------------
Audio Evolution v3.20, (full version)
(formerly known as PlayHD)
compiled/optimized from source tree v3.20 (April 2001)
by Michael Bergmann
ABOUT THIS RELEASE
Davy Wentzler released full source to AudioEvolution v3.20 to the public
in August 2011. Unfortunately, his source didn't compile AOTB under
OS 3.x - so I fixed it.
Davy kindly gave me permission to release updated source and
binaries. This is the binary release.
I didn't really do much work on it:
- fixed some dependencies for compilation with SAS/C v6.58
- some smaller source fixes
- added optimizing makefiles for MC680x0 with and without
- added interims installer script for '040 program versions
- Michael Bergmann, August 2023 -
Audio Evolution is an audio harddisk recording system primarily aimed at
musicians who want an easy-to-use multitrack recorder for home-studio
applications. It's based on the AHI system by Martin Blom, which makes
it possible to run Audio Evolution on every modern soundcard designed for
Amiga computers. Because of the efficient mixing routines of AHI, it's
possible to play up to 30 tracks at the same time on expanded systems,
even without PowerPC technology. But that's not what makes it a good
harddisk recording system: Audio Evolution also offers a versatile mixing
desk including channel volume per display, mute, solo, panning, subgroups
and realtime effects. Besides that, full mixer automation gives you mixing
possibilities only limited by your imagination. Also take a look at the
timeline display with its marker system for fast positioning in the song,
locators and punch in/out features which saves you precious time in your
Features of Audio Evolution:
- Up to 30 (stereo) samples simultaneously.
The amount of samples you can actually play depends on:
* Processor power: since all the mixing is done by the processor,
more channels can be mixed at higher frequencies on faster
* Speed of your harddisk and harddisk-controller. SCSI is
* The AHI-mode you have selected. Is it a stereo mode, stereo++
mode with panning, fast mode etcetera?
- Full duplex playback and record: if your soundcard allows it, you can play
back samples while recording.
- A mixing desk provides you with realtime control over volume, panning, solo
and mute per channel. Every channel has a separate volume PPM display.
Also three realtime effects can be plugged in and the channel can be
assigned to one of four subgroups.
A mastervolume slider and a stereo master volume indicator are present too.
- Separate window for 4 subgroups with solo and mute per group.
- Full mixer-automation based on event-list: channel faders, panning,
mutes, master volume, subgroup volumes and subgroup mutes can be automated.
Automation events can be edited directly on the timeline.
- Realtime effects with the following runtime (near real-time) possibilities:
* Parameter change
* On/off state switch
* Removal of effects
Also, possible CPU overload is detected, preventing lock-ups during
- A Time Line Display provides you with an overview of the loaded samples and
their durations. Samples can be moved along the timeline.
- A marker mechanism on top of the timeline lets you place locators, punch
markers and the time marker easily, giving quick and accurate access to
- Sample-editing with the usual features like cut,paste,copy,erase range.
to disk, not limited by memory.
- Effects like Delay, Noise Gate, Chorus, Comp/Limiter, Amplifier, Frequency
and FIR-filters can be applied.
- MIDI synchronisation: by sending a MIDI start-command and a Song Position
Pointer, you can synchronize audio with an external MIDI sequencer. You
can also receive MIDI start-commands, synchronize to Bars&Pipes or to the
You should first install Audio Evolution with the installer that came with the
package. No assigns are needed.
Please select a 'fast stereo++' mode for your soundcard.
Preferably not Hifi and non-realtime modes.
Delfina users should check if they have the latest versions of the Delfina
libraries and shouldn't use the 'AnyFreq' modes because the AHI driver
can give some troubles.